Universal Primary Free School Meals UPFSM
In line with the Welsh Government Initiative to provide all Primary school children in Wales with a free school meal by 2024, Newport City Council will extend the universal offering from September 2023 to include year’s 3 – 6. Therefore, all children from Reception to Year 6 will receive a free school meal. This commitment is in response to the rising cost-of-living pressures on families and our shared ambitions of tackling child poverty to ensure that no child goes hungry in school.
The universal provision does not replace your Free School Meal entitlement. If you are you are in receipt of any of the benefits listed below, please complete a Free School Meal application as you may be eligible for additional grants for school uniform. You can apply online at www.newport.gov.uk/freeschoolmeals. By registering, your school may also get additional money to be spent on supporting teaching and learning.
Qualifying benefits include:
• Income Support
• Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
• Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
• Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
• The guaranteed element of Pension Credit
• Child Tax Credit (provided not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
• Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
• Universal Credit
If you require any further support, please contact the school’s main office on 01633 855100 or via the school email email@example.com