Cooking activities for the whole family
Basic Bread Recipe (no yeast)
- 500 g plain flour (regular cake or all purpose flour not bread or wholewheat / wholegrain)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 310 ml milk (or water with a spoon of oil or melted butter)
- Heat the oven to 190°C Fan (210C (regular) / 375°F / Gas Mark 6. Place a baking stone or heavy baking sheet in the oven to heat.
- Mix the dry ingredients. Stir in the milk, and bring the dough together by stirring the ingredients until the milk is mixed with with flour and forms a dough. It's easiest to do this with your hands rather than a wooden spoon.
- Turn the dough out onto your work surface and knead briefly until the dough has a uniform consistency.
- Shape the dough into a round disc about an inch to an inch and a half (about 3cm) thick and deeply score the top with an X.
This is important! Don't make a round ball of dough as it won't cook in the middle.
- Bake on the hot stone or baking sheet at for about 35 minutes until pale brown and sounding hollow when tapped on the bottom.
- Important! We cannot stress enough that the dough needs to be a flat pancake - not more than 1.5" (3cm) deep when it goes into the oven, or it will not cook properly in the middle.
- If you don't have milk you can make some up with powdered milk, mix up yogurt and water, or use water with a spoon of oil or melted butter or spread.
CAN I MAKE A VEGAN NO YEAST LOAF?
Absolutely yes! Use your favourite soy or nut milk, and add one tablespoon of lemon juice just before mixing the dough.
CAN I MAKE EMERGENCY NO YEAST BREAD WITH GLUTEN FREE FLOUR?
This recipe doesn’t work with gluten free wheat flour, so I’m afraid not. Sorry! We are working on it though, so watch this space!
I’M OUT OF MILK! WHAT CAN I DO?
You can use a 50:50 mixture of yogurt and water instead. Mix the two well together before adding to the flour. Or you can make up some powdered milk, as per the packet instructions, and use that.
USE WATER INSTEAD OF MILK
If you don’t have milk, yogurt, or milk powder you can make this bread with water and half a tablespoon of vegetable oil, or a knob of melted butter, margarine or baking spread. The milk makes it fluffier, lighter and softer, but at a pinch water and oil will do.
CAN I FREEZE EMERGENCY NO YEAST BREAD?
Yes – this no yeast bread freezes well – I like to slice it, wrap in a plastic bag, freeze, then toast from frozen.
CAN I MAKE EMERGENCY NO YEAST BREAD USING CUP MEASURES?
Yes! Don’t mix cups and metric measurements, but 3 1/3 cups of flour, 10 fl oz of milk and the same amounts of baking powder and salt – 2 tsp and 1 tsp respectively will work.
Basic Minced Meat
This can be adapted for making:-
- Spaghetti bolognese
- Pasta bolognese
- Shepherd’s Pie (lamb mince)
- Cottage Pie (beef mince)
Also turkey mince can be used for any of the dishes
Ingredients (basic for spaghetti bolognese)
1 pack 500g mince
1 onion ) these can be from a jar if fresh not available
2 cloves garlic ) use about 1 teaspoon
1 tin tomato or 1 small carton of pasata
1 tablespoon tomato puree (ketchup can be used if not available)
Salt and pepper (to taste)
1 desert spoon dried mixed herbs
- Peel and chop the onion and the carrots
- Place large saucepan on to a medium heat
- Add the onions and carrots into the pan and stir for about 20 seconds
- Add the mince to the pan and fry (with the onions and carrots)
- Keep frying the mince until it all becomes brown and the onions and carrots soften
- Carefully drain off excess fat (put the lid on the pan and pour the excess oil through a small gap between the lid and pan into a bowl; when this is cooled, dispose of in food waste bag)
- Place pan back on the heat and add the tomatoes, puree, salt and pepper and mixed herbs
- Stir well, and simmer for about 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Cook spaghetti according to packet instructions
- Sit and enjoy!!
Variations 1 – Pasta bolognese
Use recipe for Spaghetti bolognes but replace spaghetti with own choice of pasta
Follow cooking instructions according to the packaging
Variation 2 – Lasagne
Use the basic recipe for spaghetti bolognese and also need -
- lasagne sheets (follow instructions on packet)
- cheese sauce (packet mix/jar/make own)
- grated cheese
Once everything is cooked, layer the meat, lasagne and cheese sauce in a dish, sprinkle cheese on top and grill until the cheese has melted
You can also add breadcrumbs to the cheese topping to add texture, and also some mixed herbs
Variation 3 – Chilli
Use the same basic recipe for spaghetti bolognese, but also need –
- 1 tin kidney beans (small or large depending on how much you like kindey beans; can be made without the beans)
- Half teaspoon Chilli powder (add more if you want more flavour!!)
- Half teaspoon cayenne pepper (add more if you want more flavour!!)
- Half teaspoon paprika (add more if you want more flavour!!)
Or you can add a jar of chilli sauce rather than tin tomato/pasata
Serve with rice (microwave or packet), tortilla chips or whatever you like!!!!
Variation 4 – Shepherd’s Pie/ Cottage Pie
Shepherds Pie is traditionally made with lamb mince and peas
Cottage Pie is traditionally made with beef mince
Both have a potato topping – any potato can be use including sweet potatoes
Potato topping –
- peel potatoes and cut up into small chunks
- place into pan and cover with water, bring to the boil and simmer until soft (a knife can cut into the potato easily)
- drain off the water and place the pan back on the heat to absorb any excess water
- take the pan from the heat, add some butter, salt and pepper, a splash of mik, and mash the potatoes.
- Place the meat mixture into a dish, add the potatoes on top and serve